As the kids have slowly destroyed the (cheaply made) closet that came with the RV, we have been plotting out what to replace it with. I have gone back and forth trying to find a pre-made solution or to custom build one myself. Thankfully, we settled on a pre-made solution from Ikea. We used the Stuva series wardrobe with the Folja door and drawer fronts (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S99180549/), which has a lot of little customizations to it. The measurements work out just about right and it is a much better use of the space.
The demo went pretty smooth. I only needed an impact to back off the screws and my fist to take care of the rest. Like I said, cheaply made. After I had all of the material cleared out, I cleaned and painted the wall that was covered up.
I added some plywood to the back of the closet for added structural integrity and to give myself something to screw through to attach it to the wall.
Next was building a small platform for the closet to sit on since Keystone hired an idiot for a designer and brought the shore power cable through the wall where the closet sits.
The matte black worked out well, IMO.
The closet came with spots for leveling feet, but since I didn’t need them I was able to utilize the holes to secure the closet to the base, which is screwed into the floor. Next came final assembly, add the drawers and doors, and add a finishing touch of a play rug to cover where the carpet is lacking.
We plan to figure a way to bungee the handles together for travel days. It’s nice that the hinges and drawer slides are made to close/stay closed, so that should help as well.